- 1/2 of a 15 oz. package (1 crust) rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust
- 12 oz. assorted garden heirloom tomatoes (Cherokee Purple and/or Brandywine) or regular tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup half and half, light cream or milk
- 3 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. snipped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Swiss, cheddar, Monterey Jack, and/or Havarti cheese (4 oz.)
- Let piecrust stand at room temperature according to package directions. Unroll piecrust into a 9 inch pie plate. Crimp edge as desired. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 425 degree F. oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or until pastry is set and dry. Remove from ovenh. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degree F.
- Meanwhile, place tomato slices on paper towels to absorb excess moisture. In a small skiller, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion. Cook until onion is tender but not brown, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, flour, basil, salt, dry mustard and black pepper.
- To assemble, sprinkle cheese onto bottom of the hot, baked pastry shell. Spoon onion mixture over cheese. Arrange a single layer of tomato slices over cheese, overlapping slightly. Slowly pou egg mixture over tomatoes. Sprinkle paprika over egg mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until egg mixture is set in center. If necessary, cover edge of pie with foil for the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.